Friday, May 2, 2008

End of the Year Paper

End of the Year Paper

When I began my English 1000C class, titled creative non-fiction, I knew that I would easily transition into the work load. As classes continued, I began to awaken myself to a different side of my writing. While I was primarily an academic writer, the blog assignments opened me to a creative side- a side of my work that now allowed for the true essence of writing to easily flow. Through this class, I have certainly become more confident in my writing abilities, as well as more open to different kinds of artistic writing. Learning to incorporate an artistic way to what I’ve always known writing to be opened so many new doors- especially the blog which I certainly intend to keep much longer than my class permits assignments. The blog, as well as other assignments this class offered, was radically different from my others- and I began to look past academic writing that limited me to reading certain novels and works of literature and in the end, spitting back information read and what I had inferred on the topics.

Last semester’s English class was one that I had despised- rooted in world cultures in literature, my professor conducted a typical class of students reading the works, having to takes notes and respond with the correct answers to prove that we did the work. These classes in particular do not work for me, as I have mentioned in a number of personal works, as well as my blog, that writing is not all academia- but more of a part of the writer’s soul; each work encompasses the true meaning of what it is to be an educated and inspired human- no matter what the personal talent is. In Eng 1100 I found myself, more often than not, searching within myself to pull papers from a place where I didn’t think I’d be able to- I truly hated the constrictions of thesis papers based on specific works that allow for little to no freedom of the art that writing truly is.

As a writer I would categorize myself as one that acts on literacy based on circumstance- for the sheer beauty of it- that writing comes from a place inside rather than answers that are regurgitated onto a word document to sum up some made up thesis to compensate for a grade. My strengths lay in my experiences, my life, my soul- my loves. My weaknesses are deeply entwined with my own procrastination and lack of ever being on time. Should I ever change my ways- ever to become more organized, maybe that will change ;-)